Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 94 21:44:34 CDT
Tammy,

        I'm sorry if it's cruel, but I laughed so hard I almost cried at your
tails about Randy.  I assume that's okay since you say he makes you laugh,
too.  Looks pretty funny though when I'm sitting here laughing hysterically
(but quietly) at my computer up here at the front desk of our library.
Anyway, about Randy, I'm sure plenty of others will answer, but yes, ferrets
and indeed any animals can be `slow'.  A classmate of mine has a cat named
Ruprect who got that name for precisely the same kind of cute but not-all-
there behaviour.  But I would say that even with a learning disability, if
your consistent enough, you should at least be able to teach him where the
bathrooms are and that biting is not acceptable (if he hasn't bitten in 6
months, I should think that's good evidence he can figure things out).  The
trick is consistency.  When we think someone has a disability, we often allow
inappropriate behaviour more often than we normally would.  Trouble is, even
the slowest ferret interprets that as `oh, that action must be okay'.  So
whenever you catch him in the act of going in the middle of the floor (I know
that's hard if he doesn't back up), scruff him, yell `no' in his face, and
even flick him in the nose if you think he needs the extra point.  Same thing
with biting (which deserves the nose flick just so he realizes something that
hurts isn't nice).  Remember he may be as stubborn as he is slow.  Don't let
him trick you!  You may never get him 100% potty trained, but you should be
able to keep him not biting like he has been.  On the other hand, I guess
there's no way you can teach him the common sense not to fall face first! :)

Laura

Laura L'Heureux Kupkee, Trella, and Tribble
U. of Illinois Vet Med Class of `96

P.S. -- IMPORTANT -- Can anyone update me on the Kansas State rabies shedding
study?  Whatever happened to it?