From:
Luise Villalta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 1994 17:20:34 -0500
                       Subject:                               Time:1:45 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Let's go camping                       Date:9/23/94
Thank you very much Tracy for the information on food for ferrets.  I checked
out the ingredients in Science Diet dry kitten and cat food, and there is a lot
of protein (33% in the kitten food, and 30% in the cat food), and it also has
the amino acide taurine in it, and it lists meat as the first ingredient!  I'll
try a sample package first to see if Bandit and Buttercup will eat it.  They
have become so picky.  And next time we eat Mexican I'll try the refried beans
on Bandit!
And thanks again Pamela for sending me the info. from FAQ.
On another note, Bandit is a real little camper.  We took him on a few camping
trips.  He loves digging up chipmunk holes and rummaging around in the bushes.
He travels well in the car provided you can find a spot for the litter box, and
make sure there isn't any rubber available, and also make sure everything is
secure so he doesn't get crushed.  He finds his own place to sleep among the
camping gear.
He wears a harness all the time, and we tie him up to a pole with a 12 foot
lead so he can reach his favourite digging places.  We take him for walks and
canoe trips.  The kids from nearby camp sites gravitate towards him as well as
a lot of adults.  We found out he can swim but he isn't too fond of lakes.  He
gets along with the wildlife in the area.  One night he rubbed noses with a
raccoon who later ran off with our loaf of bread.  He sleeps in a cardboard box
which is all taped up except for a hole to which is attached a one foot long
tunnel made from a piece of flexible ducting (used for dryers).  We also have a
6 foot long piece of this ducting at home, and it is one of his favourite toys.
 He has a soft towel inside the box to sleep on.
On one camping trip he got out of his harness during the night.  In the morning
as I got out of the tent I noticed a group of kids from the nearby site looking
and pointing at the bushes.  There was Bandit happily rummaging in the leaves
(on the outskirts of our site).  The kids had been watching him for a couple of
hours.  Thank goodness he hung around our site!