From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 1994 20:05:37 -0400
Charlie is a two-year-old neutered male silver-mitt ferret.  He has
always been fed good-quality cat/kitten food, most recently MaxCat
Kitten food. his diet is supplemented by ferretone, and raisins, which
he can't get enough of.

About two weeks ago, Charlie began exhibiting symptoms of an ulcer:
grinding his teeth, not eating or drinking, lethargy, weight loss,
dehydration, black tarry stool.

The same thing happened about a year ago.  I brought him to two vets
here in MA at that time; both took blood tests and x-rays, but neither
could determine what was wrong.  One vet surmised that it probably was
an ulcer, and prescribed Zantac.  I didn't give him much -- he hated it
so much, and I didn't want to stress him out too much.

After about 1-2 days, he started eating raisins, and spontaneously got
better.

When he started exhibiting the same symptoms this time around, I didn't
bring him to the vet right away, thinking that he'd pull out of it by
himself, like last time.

This time, however, he deteriorated to the point where he could barely
walk.

I brought him to a vet in CT whom I heard was ferret-knowledgeable.  He
took a stool sample, blood work, and x-rays.  Based on this information,
he determined that Charlie had ulcerations in his intestines.  Either
because of this, or from dehydration, he was also suffering from kidney
failure, and perhaps hepetitis.  It was also his opinion that he was not
suffering from any kind of tumor, or intestinal blockage.

The doctor kept him for a week.  He rehydrated him with IV fluids, gave
him injections of Cefadroxil, and force-fed him K-Peck, and Nutrical.

The doctor informed me that he would benefit from this care just as well
at home, so I returned to pick him up.  Charlie was noticeably weaker --
he could only take one or two shakey steps before falling over.

The doctor also told me that Charlie's status was:  probable inflamed
intestines, probable inflamed liver.

I've taken Charlie home.  He has been back with me for 24 hours, now.  I
am following the doctor's instructions:  1/4ML Cefa-drops once-a-day,
1ML K-Peck twice-a-day, and feedings of nutrical (which has to be forced,
since he generally won't take it on his own).

I would say that Charlie has further deteriorated in the past 24 hours.
He doesn't seem able to walk at all now, and is extremely listless.  He
also doesn't appear to be drinking.  I have been squeezing water into
his mouth, and he does swallow some when I do this.  When I force nutrical
into his mouth, he will sometimes lick and swallow; other times, the
nutrical just sits in his mouth.

The doctor told me that he had seen Charlie's symptoms before in other
ferrets, and that he didn't know why some ferrets get this condition.

Perhaps I should also mention that my other ferret, Finnegan, a two-year-old
sable, is not sick at all.

What I would like to find out at this point:  1.) can anyone provide insight
based on professional expertise or personal experience which can help me
to save my ferret; 2.) Can anyone suggest a vet in MA, CT, NH, VT, RI, or ME
whom I can contact.

Any information that anyone can provide will be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Prayers are also welcome.

-Sheldon, ferrets Charlie & Finnegan, and Tasha the cockatoo.