From:
"Jason W. Creager" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 1994 09:42:56 -0500
Our best wishes for Hershey's speedy recovery!  We know exactly how you
feel.  Now that Fosgate's back to eating regular food, we feel that he
must have had some sort of digestive infection or virus.  His poop has
changed colors dramactically and yesterday for the first time in MONTHS,
he played with another ferret.  Our neighbor's ferret is turning out to
be such a sweetheart.   Fosgate and Teddy would wrestle and grab each
others' necks, but when Fozzy would get tired, Teddy would stop and let
him rest!  Wow, for a 4 month old ferret, he sure knows how to "talk" to
other ferrets!  (BTW, are you the same Eric Schwartz of Amiga animation
fame?)

Pam,
  The FAQ on a CD is a GREAT idea!  If you're concerned about someone
making money off of it, consider the following points:

1.  If the CD retails for $35, then he will sell it to the distributors
for about $12-$15.  When you subtract the cost of the CD itself ($1.50 or
less), that's a fair price for a huge amount of work.

2.  When you divide the total profit made by manfacturer, distributor,
and retail store by the amount of information that will be on the CD, the
amount of money made off of the Ferret FAQ itself (probably a penny, or
maybe two!), it's negligible.  I've rarely seen a CD that wasn't packed
to the 600MB brim, so a few K vs. millions of bits of data......

3.  Before the FML, I knew some about ferrets and had a lousy job.  Now,
I know a LOT about ferrets and have a great job!  (Coincidence?  I think
not!)  :-P  Others would benefit greatly from the inclusion.

4.  It could save a single ferret life.

You might want to make sure that the post issue 1000 subscription
information is correct.  Heck, we might want to setup a special address
*just for the CD-ROM* that won't change.  Be a great way to guage how
much benefit came from its inclusion on the disc!!!!  Is this feasible
Bill or Chris?

Anyway, it sounds like a fantastic idea which I support whole heartedly!