From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 1994 14:41:00 CDT
Randy reminded me that not everyone knows how ferrets are normally
killed in the "test and kill" procedure.

Because ferrets are so small and they struggle, the fastest way and
the one normally used is to inject the drugs directly into the heart.
It is not unusual for an inexperienced vet or for that matter even an
experienced vet, to miss the first time and have to try again.  In the
process other organs (lungs) can be damaged causing severe pain and
stress.  Imagine what the ferrets last thoughts and feelings are:
Pain, Fear and Stress.

Because dogs and cats are larger the drugs can be injected into the veins.

Please pass this information along to others who are involved or interested
in the ferret issue.  Most probably think the drugs are injected in the
veins.  They truth must be told.

Dr. Williams-Why is it that ferrets can be anesthetized before surgery but
must be injected intercardially to be killed?  Am I missing something here?
As we all value your input, we would be interested in your views and
opinions on this issue.

Hugs to all!  tle

[As a datapoint, there is nothing stopping the vet from using a
anesthetic or strong tranguilizer of some sort before euthanizing.
This is what the vet did when we had to put Mocha down.  Believe me,
she didn't feel any pain at all.]