From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 1994 12:51:00 CDT
Chris -
I wouldn't be surprised if we find Canada's rabies problem is compounded
by our rabies vectors migrating into Canada.  Obviously, if Canada combats
the problem and the U.S. doesn't, Canada wouldn't be able to elimnate it.
From the reports I've read on Europe, rabies has been drastically decreased
and in some areas become nonexistant.  The U.S. needs to get on the ball!
Doesn't seem to me they want to elimate it just control it.

Hugs to all!  tle

[While Canadians do tend to blame the Americans for a lot of things moving
north ;-), it is probably not that big a factor in this case.  For example,
the raccoon-rabies issue has been big in the US for a number of years, but
rabid raccoons are still almost non-existant here.  According to the
statistics at least...  We have a big problem because our population
density is so low, and the land area is so big.  So, the animal populations
are far higher relative to the forces trying to combat it.  If migratory
rabies was a primary factor, we should *still* be able to reduce incidence.
But, the numbers, while somewhat cyclic, aren't trending downwards.  It's
just too big a problem to reduce given the resources we can commit.  The main
thing, though, is that the government has been effective in preventing humans
from catching the disease - there hasn't been a human case of rabies since
the early 50's.  In contrast, in Europe, the population densities are so high
and the wild areas so small, that it's relatively easy to make a big dent.
But they have to get pretty drastic.  Eg: the quarantine laws in England...]