From:
Cindy Aleszczyk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 1994 16:32:30 EDT
To Jim Anderson:

Our two kits, Beren and Pippin had been great about using the litter when we
first got them.  Then, a friend who is visiting picked up a different litter
while out shopping and we've had accidents galore!

We use Galmour Kitty - the plain kind, no baking soda or anything perfumy.
Since switching back, the accidents have decreased and they're almost 100%
accurate again.

However, I think it has something to do with their training as youngsters too.
Beren's mom always hit her pan, but Pippin's mom never did.  In the beginning,
it seemed as if the offspring were going to follow in their mom's footsteps,
but Pippin began following Beren's lead and is doing well now.

Don't fill the litter pan too full or they will play in it, especially
when it's new and clean.  an inch or so to cover the bottom of the pan
is all you need - more than that is a playground!

To whomever asked about ferret food:

I have been using Totally Ferret, as that is what the breeder had the munchkins
on when I purchased them.  They love it and it's perfectly balanced for ferrets.

My only complaint/comment is that their stool is not very firm and the food is
 not very concentrated - they eat alot and eliminate alot.

However, they are the biggest and healthiest ferrets I've ever owned (or seen
for that matter!)  My 4 month male is a full 3 lbs and my 4.5 month female is
2 lbs., full of energy  and great coats!