From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 1994 08:29:23 CST
From: [log in to unmask] (Dave Garvin)

>        I just wanted to make a quick comment on the statement below.  I am
>not in the medical field, but in other areas of research it is not uncommon
>for researchers to submit letters (research articles, really) rebutting the
>claims made by others on a topic.  Science is, after all, getting to the
>bottom of the story.  This is particularly true when the findings being
>reported are so blatantly incorrect or out of date that the article's
>publication will mislead the readers.

I wrote the original statement about the letter to the editor in the
Western Journal of Medicine.  Unfortunately, it's from a few years ago:
"Pet ferrets - A hazard to public health and wildlife" [letter to the
editor] (1989).  Western Journal of Medicine, 150, p. 466.  I came upon
it when I was searching the computer database for articles on ferrets,
biting, rabies, etc.  It's by Kizer and Constantine from the CALIFORNIA
Dept. of Health Services; they've written a similarly-titled pamphlet.
Being a researcher myself (in psychology; though I was doing more
biological work at one time), I know the importance of promptness too.

A more recent letter from the Council of State and Territorial Epidemi-
ologists (CSTE) published the opinion held by themselves and the NASPHV.
["Epidemiologists and public health veterinarians issue statement on
ferrets" [letter to the editor] (1994).  Journal of the American Veter-
inary Medical Association, 205, p. 534-5.]  It's less gory than the other
one, and cites no references for what they say, but basically covers the
same old ground - this has been debated in JAVMA before.  What do we do
about this one?  Read Troy Lynn's letter in FML #937 about the upcoming
NASPHV meeting and what we can do.  If we deliver enough scientific
information and statements from veterinarians, maybe we can finally get
them to change their position on our little friends.  I know that a
number of Animal Control departments must be listening to them, as it
is a group of public health vets, so if we can make some chnages here,
then at the very least the FFZs will have less and less to back them up.

I'm glad to hear about the bill getting through the House and to the
Senate in MI, BTW!  If one of the FFZ _states_ changes their laws, so
many ferrets will be benefited, and it'll be more noticeable than a
city or county here or there.

Are there any more ferret pics coming to armstrong.nmsu.edu or another
FTP site?  I got the latest 4 jpegs there, and the pics are just SO
adorable!  :)

Work hard for the ferrets!
Denise
  * Rocko and Randall