From:
Thomas Clancy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 1994 11:56:04 -0230
Re: Washing Machine, Dryer and Fridge

   As you noted the washing machine is indeed a no-no, but so is a dryer.
If the little shark manages to pull or chew the flexi-tube off of it you can
kiss him/her good-bye.  It will be up and out the vent quicker than you can
blink (past experience has shown this ;-)
   Someone also mentioned that behind/under a fridge is relatively safe...
not so!  The are quite a few things to be concerned about... wires, a
_rubber_ (which most ferrets can't seem to get enough of) tube runs into a
plastic `tray' (used for collecting the water/excess moisture that is
in a fridge).  Rupert (the perp!) loves to get in there. He has since chewed
(and he is not a `chewing ferret') holes into this tray and tubing
(trying to get/play with the little bit of water that trickles
down)--note that this little bit of moisture is also `flavoured';It has
all the flavours of what's being stored in your freezer and fridge!.
Aside from the danger of ingesting things, there is also the concern for
electrocution under the fridge.  I didn't much care if he got under there
until one day when I noticed the floor wet... I chaulked it up to split
water from the fridge... when it happened a few times I decided to
investigate!  It was then I noted the possible dangers and the damage =-)

I've a question to field to the readers:
 I own two white/silver ferrerts (Rupert and Pudgey), my friend
occasionally brings her ferret (same type) over for me to clip its nails.
During the ferrets last visit (yesterday) I noticed that it had a prolapsed
rectum.  I informed her about it and she says it's been like it for as long
as she's had it (~7 weeks--she's ferret-sitting, and for at least another
month).  Therefore it has been like it for longer than 7weeks, possibly
since it was born.  It is a small ferret (the smallest I've ever seen!)--it
can't be any thicker than a large banana! (though it is normal length)--3
yrs, and female: Eats/drinks and uses the litter as per usual.
I suggested she take it to the vet, but she insists that that can wait till
the owner returns (vets are expensive here).  Just what are some of the
things a prolapsed rectum might be indicative of?  I suspect the ferrets
small build is a direct or indirect result of this.  It (ferret) also seems
active as per the norm.

Regards,
 Thomas, Rupert and Pudgey!