From:
Dave Dennett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 1994 04:29:00 -0500
>From grapevine!dave.dennett Wed Jul 20 04:29:00 1994

Mike,

FM>This morning I was reading my ferret book, and it mentioned that
FM>propensity to bite is partially genetic, and if you don't go to a
FM>good breeder, you can get ferrets that are biters.

I have found this to be true.  Of the ferret babies I have raised, the
babies born to the mother that had a propensity to nip and bite, all
turned out to be nippers and biters.  I have found, although possibly by
accident, that none of my male ferrets bite, only the females.   Perhaps
others can relate their experiences, but to wit, I have found the males
make much gentler pets than the females.

I have had females that didnt bite, and when mated with males that didnt
bite, turned out gentle babies, so this is probably a true statement.  I
would not buy from a pet shop.  I would buy from the paper, where you
can meet the parents.  Ask to pet the parents.  If they try to bite you
out of meanness, the babies will probably be about the same temperment.

FM>some playful biting, especially when young, and the only training
FM>they would need is that their biting hurt.  We thought if we *showed*
FM>them the pain, they would feel sorry and learn not to bite, whereas
FM>with Otto, showing pain seemed to be a mistake...

I have trained a couple of my babies, and if taught very early that the
nipping was not allowed, tended to not nip when they were older.   One
female I had would not bite anyone, except one person.  We never did
understand why she would actively go after this one person.

----
The Ferret Bulletin Board System  (501) 791-0124
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Carrying RIME, Throbnet, Smartnet, and Usenet