From:
Thomas Clancy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 1994 20:05:24 -0230
Paula, I noticed you said you give them a `light' tap/smack.  It's been
my experience that one must, at times, be very firm and give them a darn
good whack on the nose--and I mean a hard whack!  After-all, the can give
you a nasty nip. =-)

I used to be afraid to give them a good wallop, but a person could only
take so many nips, and with company dropping over, the habit had to be
broken.  If you are concerned about hitting them too hard, look at it
this way... observe two ferrets playing--they play _very_ rough.  You
may also wish to think about them had they been in the wild--sniffing thru
burrows for food and having to fight/kill prey (yes, people, these are
domesticated, but the point I am trying to make is still valid--ferrets
are _very_ tough).  Don't be afriad to give them a good whack, and at the
age your's is, it's all important to break them of the habit now.  Rupert
used to land some nasty nips as a kit, but now _never_, I repeat _never_
bites--for _any_ reason.  My vet wouldn't believe it either =-) Till
I made a bet with her that would require me to do all her house cleaning for
a year if he bit her.

A warning, though... if you are going to give them a good whack make
certain you are holding them just below, and _including_ it's neck. ie:
Make sure the head is supported, and held firmly--You wouldn't want to
crack the carpet sharks neck. ;-)

Thom the tyrant!

Plebs:   Rupert and Pudgey