From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 1994 08:14:59 -0400
To Jeff Riemrsma:

<I brought him in for tests. Dr. Kemmerer said that the exact cause of death was
<intercardiac lymphosarcoma - the first case she has ever seen where the cancer
<attacked the heart muscle itself. She believes that to be the underlying factor
<as to why he went downhill so fast.

<I present this information for those of you who are trying to learn as much as
<possible about the apparently innumerable causes for ferret mortality. I also
<hope that other vets out there reading this list may be able to comment on this
<form of lympho. Have any of you had a ferret with this exact form of lympho,
<and if so, was it diagnosed in time to do anything about it?

        Jeff - lymphosarcoma is generally considered a multicentric disease, and
can appear in oany organ of the body.  Most commonly, it is seen in lymph nodes
and the spleen, but I have seen it just about everywhere.  Yes, I have seen some
cases in the heart.  The presence of any tumor in the heart poses a major
problem for the animal, at it tends to affect the electrical conduction of the
impulses that cause the heart muscle to contract.  It can interrupt thiese
impulses, or cause them to start at inopportune time.  Generally there is litle
that can be done - the disease is rather insidious, and when cardiac
abnormalities are noticed, it's usually too late.

        I am sorry for your loss; I know that everyone on the list who has lost
a ferret ( and most of us have lost several), shares your sorrow at this time.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000