From:
RBOSSART <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 1994 21:47:49 -0400
Garrison Patrick,

We bought a pet store ferret that was whole, as opposed to the required
neutered and desented for NH.  We had her spayed after she went into
heat, but we didn't have her desented.  That was nearly a year ago.  She
has no more of an odor than any of our other 13 and has never sprayed.
Given the risk of accidently cutting something during the operation, I
wouldn't recommend it.  It seems unnecessary unless the gland actually
becomes infected.

We recommend bathing no more than once a month - perferrably less- to
those we adopt out of our shelter.  A young kit may require a bath more
often since some seem to have a stronger odor for the first month or so.
Except for a serious dirt problem (digging in the fireplace, playing in
powdered sugar, etc.) ours get a bath about once every two or three
months.  We use a very mild NO-TEARS shampoo; rinse; spray a little Avon
Skin-So-Soft on their backs and stomach; rub that in; then rinse again.
That seems to keep their fur soft and skin moist.

We generally clip nails about once a week.  Clean ears too.

EMAIL me your address and I'll send you a copy of "The Ferret Owner's
Manual"  that we hand out to "adoptive parents".  It gives general tips
such as bathing, nail clipping, ear cleaning, toys, food and treats, etc.

Kent Perrier,

Myself, I've always worried about the ferret getting hurt if they fall
off. A bad landing can lead to all sorts of problems, most of them bad.
But, having said that, I've heard of people training them near a bed or a
box of crumpled up newspapers so they have a chance at a soft landing.
Give them treats for staying on; and put them back when they climb or
jump off.  They are very smart and will usually figure it out quickly.
At first you have to give the treats often and for short "stays".  Then
gradually extend the period between treats.

anon - heartworm

Heartworm is a big danger in the northeast.  It is transmitted by
misquito(sp) and quite often fatal.  You should check with your vet in
your area to see if heartworm is common there.  Prevention is simple.
One pill a month - getting the ferret to take the one pill is a
challenge.

Bitter apple has no particular odor once it drys. It just tastes awful.
You would usually put it around the neck, up around the ears and on the
ears where the ferret doen't usually groom itself.  Spraying it on your
hands then rubbing it on the ferret keeps it from going places where you
don't want it (like eyes and nose).  It won't hurt the ferret.  It's used
by groomers to keep show dogs and cats from licking themselves and
ruining their coat appearance.  It does have alchol and can "burn" an
open sore or the eyes.

On the biting.  That's one thing that you should work on as soon as
possible.  Ofen it's just a matter of conditioning them to enjoy being
handled by you.  Use diluted ferretone as a "reward" each time you pick
her up and she doesn't bite (just a drop or two).  Avoid "spanking" or
thumping on the nose.  That only teaches her that pickup means pain.  If
she does nip, hold her face in your hands and shout a firm "NO!!".  Stare
her down for a short while; then talk soothingly, and give her scritches;
then after a while if she hasn't chomped give her a few drops of the
diluted ferretone.  Now some ferrets will react too strongly to the
shouted "NO" and may try to bite.  Hold firmly until she settles down -
and in that case amybe lower the voice the next time.  Again the idea is
positive reinforcement more than negative.

I'd offer to send you a copy of "The Ferret Owner's Manual" but I can see
your from a FFZ and can appreciate your anon position.  If you are
willing to chance it, EMAIL me your address and I'll send you a copy.