From:
Peter Long <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 1994 18:17:58 -0400
While talking with our vet recently about American ferret in-breeding problems
she mentioned that here in Europe it is now felt a lack of Taurin in the diet
of cats and ferrets leads to heart problems.

Is this news or is it known about already Stateside ?

We rushed home and checked the ingredients list on our bag of Iams imported
dry catfood, which our ferret does well on also. The list in Swedish had 0.25%
Taurin but the German and French lists didn't mention it, just a quirk of
national labelling regulations I hope.

Does anyone on the net know the facts about lack of Taurin leading to heart
trouble ?  Can Taurin supplement be added to canned catfood if necessary.
We use a type called Whiskas , I guess its also available with a similar
name in the States. The Whiskas label makes no mention of Taurin.

Info gratefully received, Pete and the family.