Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 1994 01:16:45 -0400
Hi fellow ferret lovers!

This is my first letter to the list, so I thought I should let you
know that I am the proud roommate of a 10 week old sable male named
Rocko, as well as a male teddy bear hamster named Grumpy.  I didn't
know until I bought a new book this weekend that rodents have a
instinctive fear of even the smell of ferrets - that would explain why
Grumpy ran in his exercise wheel for hours straight after smelling Rocko
(about 3" away; Grumpy doesn't seem to smell him when in his habitrail).

If you haven't thought about this before, please be careful about
various cleansers around your little furries.  I mixed up a batch
of natural floor cleanser to mop the floors tonight.  It contains
biodegradeable, vegetable-based dish soap (I even use it to scrub
my vegetables off), a bit of vinegar, and warm water.  I was mopping
away, not noticing Rocko looking into the basin behind me - he loves
to eat soap suds.  When I turned around, his head was half submurged
in a mound of suds, and his face was wet when I pulled him out!  I'm
scared to think what could have happened if that had been a harmful
product.

Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be so sad at missing a
dear departed furry.  I'm a graduate student for a psychology prof
who is a major researcher into relationships and emotions, and she
revealed in a lecture that she had insisted to fellow researchers
that companion animals be included as beings with whom one can have
a close relationship.  She added that she'd compared feeling no
emotion at the death of a distant aunt, but extreme depression when
her cat died.  Our little darlings interact with us, require us to
do things for them, and give to us - this creates a relationship of
sorts, and even an interdependence, the extent of which you might not
feel until the relationship in question is gone.  My deepest condol-
ences to Jennifer (mommy of Abigail and the departed Pebbles) and
anyone else who still misses a dear little furry.

To the person who witnessed a ferret being mistreated:  Since you got
the license plate number, you may be able to go to the Massachusetts
DMV, provide the number, and get the name and address of the owner.
You may have to pay a small fee and/or provide a reason (I'm sure you
can think of something).  You could then send a letter and/or pamphlets
on ferret care - maybe with anti-cruelty/animal lover society stationary?
Maybe a fake letter threatening action, even within the FFZ, if any
further cruel treatment continues?  Hints at inspections?  Obviously,
you have to think carefully about the consequences; it's just an idea.
(Does Massachusetts destroy ferrets in the state, or ship them out of
state to shelters?  If the latter, you might be able to save the little
guys!)

Rocko doesn't make a "dook" sound when he's happy/excited; he makes a
"kih" sort of sound, like a repeated, short hiss.  Is this what's
meant by the "dook" sound?  Does he maybe have an accent?  :)

Finally, I read in my latest ferret book that ferrets can't cough up
hairballs like cats can, but my little carpet shark has done something
like that twice - is he just gifted? :)  It suggests that intestinal
blockage can occur, and suggests asking your vet about Laxatone paste
dosages until the shedding is done, plus combing/brushing.  Anyone
have any ideas about this?  I haven't noticed any other coughing from
him lately.

Sorry for rambling on,
Denise, Rocko (the soap suds eating ferret),
     and Grumpy (the hamster who had quite a scare!)