From:
Mason Weinrich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 1994 09:13:37 -0400
Dear friends -

        A question and a story for y'all from Slinky, my 9-month old
(can it really be that long) sable male.

        In the past few weeks Slinky will appear to be hiccuping.  This
usually happens after he has been running around for a long time, and
is getting pretty tired.  He goes into the flat ferret-rest position,
and appears to spasms in the diaphragm area.  They don't bother him,
and he will sometimes get up and run around with them.  It usually
disappears within 30 seconds - at most, 2 minutes.  Any ideas, or has
anyone else seen anything like this?

        Also - just in case anyone tells you ferrets aren't smart.  ne
of Slinky's new favorite toys is an empty Diet Coke can he stole, which
he carrys around by the pull tab (anyone looking for a new cheap
toy...).  The first day he had it, he worked super hard to get it into
his favorite hiding spot, which is behind a book shelf around a tight
corner.  He must have worked for 25 minutes, trying different angles to
get it around the corner and under the shelf (where it just barely
fit).  He would carry it by the tab, pull it in the "egg" position,
push it with his nose, and nothing worked.  Finally, he hit on the
right way and got it back there.  After about ten minutes we pulled it
out again - he came right out and whisked it back under in about ten
seconds flat, and has proceeded to do this every time since!  I wish I
learned things that quickly!

        Sorry I haven't been too communicative lately - summer is my
busy season, and I fear until September I will always be about a week
behind.  However, I do read everything posted - I'm lurking there, just
far behind!

        Thanks for the help with the "hiccups".

Cheers - Mason, Slinky, and Leila (the cat who really wishes he would
stop banging that stupid coke can around!).