From:
Cindy Sooy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 1994 02:52:00 -0400
Garrison,

I personally feel that descenting ferrets is unnecessary unless the
glands become infected or the ferret is constantly scenting. If the
procedure is not properly done, the ferret may have trouble
controlling his bowel movements. (If the sphyncter (sp?) muscle is
cut by accident.) A ferret will only spray if frightened or
threatened. Descenting doesn't have anything to do with the smell of
a ferret, but neutering certainly does. An unneutered ferret will
smell very strongly and have a greasy feel to it's coat. I say skip
the descenting.

Jacqueline,

The "flat ferret" syndrome is common in ferrets. Mine all do that
when they are playing. They run around, stop, flatten out for a few
seconds, and start running again. Panting is never a good sign in
ferrets. It can mean overheating or heart problems, but I don't
think Stanley is panting actually when you are playing with him but
just making a panting sound which is normal for ferrets in their
"attack mode".

Cindy Sooy