From:
Urban Fredriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 1994 15:02:25 -0400
Growth progress report: Rustan (3 months exactly yesterday) is up
0.1 kg since last week and is now at 1.25 kg; His sister seems to
have stopped at 0.8 kg.

I recently spoke with the breeder, and they say it's a pity their
father was spayed since he and their mother produced fine
offspring. Sort of nice to know. I think the number of people
keeping whole males for breeding in the Stockholm area can be
counted on one hand, as it troublesome to have them together with
others.

The breeder (who also runs a shelter) now has a new litter, this
one requiring 24 attention. They got in charge of a litter of 2
1/2 weeks old minks, whose mother disappeared "under unclear
circumstances". Since they catch lots of fish, they are unpopular
among some people.
These minks will be treated like ferrets and be handed out to
people to keep. But they won't be given to anyone not experienced
with ferrets. (I think I'll go there and have a look at them when
they're older.) They say it's no problem at all keeping them
together with ferrets, since they were taken care of by humans
when so young.
There's a surprising amount of lost and found ferrets they care
of who are never reported as missing. In all likelyhood they are
put out by owners who don't want them anymore.

We guess, but of course can't know, that most of these unwanted
ferrets come from pet stores. There is a possibility that we'll
eventually get the sale of ferrets in pet store banned, just like
happened with cats and dogs a few decades ago, using the same
arguments.

Last Sunday, we had an outing and picnic at The Copper Tents (a
park) in Stockholm. It rained, but attendance was high anyway.
Not only among us, but lots of other people came by and had a
good look at our pets, so from a PR standpoint it was a success.
--
 Urban Fredriksson  [log in to unmask]