From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 31 May 1994 08:25:02 -0400
Now that another request for a comprehensive list of FFZs (Feret-Free
Zones) has come in, I'd like to renew my plea for FMLers to add to our
store of knowledge.

Below is a list of all FFZs that I know of, and I would urge FML readers
to add to it, in an effort to get a better list together!  In addition,
legal action or disinformation campaigns are always popping up, and people
frequently ask where permits or licenses are required to keep ferrets --
if you know of any such that are not listed here, please let me know!

I've listed below what I know of, or have been informed by fellow FMLers.
Let's put our heads together and update this list!

I've listed the address of where to send updated info at the bottom of
this note.

---------------------
Ferrets are currently known to be banned or illegal in:
California
Massachusetts
Michigan
Hawaii
New York City, NY
Washington, DC
St. Paul, Minn.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ft. Bragg, NC
City of Baltimore, MD (legal in Baltimore County)
North Richland Hills, TX
Dallas, TX
Ft. Worth, TX
Plano, TX
Coppell, TX
Mesquite, TX
Farmers Branch, TXT (NEED CONFIRMATION OF THIS)
Franklin County, OH (NEED CONFIRMATION OF THIS)

Places where ferets are SPECIFICALLY legal:
Bedford, TX
Irving, TX
Haltom City, TX
Wautauga, TX

There are other cities in Texas where ferrets are illegal -- could Texas
folk help add to this list?

Many military bases ban ferrets -- please chip in with more names here!
My understanding is that this often is at the discretion of the base
commander.

Places where legal action or disinformation campaigns concerning ferrets is
taking place:
New Hampshire
Cobb County, Georgia
Kansas
San Antonio, TX

Places where legal action recently took place:
Pennsylvania

Places where permits or licenses are required in order to own ferrets:
New York State ($10/year)
New Jersey ($10/year)
Rhode Island ($10/year)
Illinois (free)

---------------------
Please add to this list!  Rather than post to the FML, please e-mail me,
and I'll compile and post the summary.  I can be reached at
[log in to unmask] or on CompuServe at 71257,3153

My thanks to the following people who have contributed to this list:
Deborah See
K. "Soup" Campbell
Bob Raymond
Howard and Ann Davis
Laura L'Heureux
Robert Rhode
Michelle & the MASKeteers
Debra Thomason

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

Katie Fritz
CompuServe Small Mammals Section (S11) Co-Leader, Pets/Animals Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]   CompuServe: 71257,3153