From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 1994 10:35:21 -0400
To Christie in Montgomery County, Maryland:

There are many, many ferret groups in the Maryland/DC area.  Check out the
STAR*Ferret database, available from the CUNY listserver.  Send a message
to [log in to unmask] with the single line GET FERRET DATABASE.

Re: ferret books

OK, I'll put in my two cents -- I have both the FURO Book of Ferrets and A
Tao Full of Detours, and find I never refer to them.  The FURO Book of
Ferrets is OK, but personally I think A Tao Full of Detours is overpriced
for what it is.  I'm looking forward to acquiring a copy of Deborah Jeans'
Practical Guide to Ferret Care.  Meanwhile, I find the most useful books I
have are the Chuck & Fox Morton standby, "Ferrets," and the Wendy Winsted
"Ferrets in Your Home."  And, of course, this list. :-)  (I've got all the
TFH books on ferrets, too, and other than the Winsted pair, don't think
they're worth the money.)

Now back to Ferret-Free Zones, or FFZs --

I'm still working to collect a more extensive list of FFZs, legal actions,
and licensing requirements, and continue to urge FML readers to add to it!
Below is what I have so far:

---------------------
Ferrets are currently known to be banned or illegal in:
California (bill recently voted down)
Massachusetts
Michigan
Hawaii
New York City, NY
Washington, DC
St. Paul, Minn.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ft. Bragg, NC
City of Baltimore, MD (city council to take up on May 11, I believe; legal
in Baltimore County)

Need more information about:
Various cities in Texas where ferrets are illegal
Other military bases that ban ferrets
Unnamed county in Ohio

Places where legal action or disinformation campaigns concerning ferrets is
taking place:
New Hampshire
Cobb County, Georgia
Kansas

Places where legal action recently took place:
Pennsylvania

Places where permits or licenses are required in order to own ferrets:
New York State
New Jersey  ($10/year)
Rhode Island ($10/year)
Illinois (free)

Please add to this list!  Rather than post to the FML, please e-mail me,
and I'll compile and post the summary.  I can be reached at
[log in to unmask] or on CompuServe at 71257,3153

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

Katie Fritz
CompuServe Small Mammals Section (S11) Co-Leader, Pets/Animals Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]   CompuServe: 71257,3153