From:
Andrea Miralia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 12:52:28 -0400
In regard to PETA not supporting ferret ownership:

I have TALKED with PETA, after I was mistakenly given a tempassignment
sorry- a Temp assignment in an animal testing lab ((((AAAAAAAAAAGGH--
not a place for a vegetarian ferret lover!! aggggghhh)))  My temp
company simply didn't know where I stood.  Anyway, without getting into
politics, I am fairly sure this is where PETA stands:

They do NOT support BUYING animals, especially from pet stores.  I
agree with this.  Pet stores usually take AWFUL care of ferrets-
cedar chips & fish tanks & unhealthy food & little attention.  Plus,
pet stores don't care who buys the ferrets and if they will take care
of them..  I frequently visit pet stores- in NY, CT, and now here
in NC. They simply DON'T CARE about the animals after they leave the shop.

on the other hand, I am ALMOST POOSITIVE that PETA supports ADOPTING
animals (including ferrets) from shelters.  This makes sense- help
a needy animal get the care s/he needs.

MAny PETA people have "pets" but they are treated as many of the people
on this list reat their ferrets-- with infinite love and "careful
freedom."

Please understand that many of the people who support PETA are NOT
violent; on the contrary- most love their animals more than they
love almost everything.  Many love all  animals in general more
than they love people.  Most, I think, just want people to resepct
respect all animals.  This means don't ignore your pets, don't
eat or use products that were obtained from methods that caused
suffering, and so on.  I'm a vegetarian, but I don't attack people
who wear fur or leather...  I would, however, get extremely upset
if I saw someone mistreating an animal, especially a ferret.

There is, you all should know, a lot of pharmeceutical and cosmetic
testing that is done on ferrets.  THAT is why I joined PETA- because
they're trying to do something to keep their suffering to an absolute
minimum.

<sigh.>

Please don't flame me---  I've had plenty of it, and it's undeserved.

Andrea

[Andrea, PETA has stated that they are officially against pet ownership
of any kind.  If they had their way, no-one could have a pet.  They
also believe that all animals belong in the wild, regardless of whether
the animal is actually a wild species or not.  If the animal cannot
survive in the wild, they believe it is natural and "right" that they
become extinct.  The above statements were made directly by the
executive of PETA, in _Harpers_ I believe - someone more knowledgeable
than I will have the exact citation.  I have read portions of the
original articles, but didn't save them.

Yes, PETA is against animal experimentation.  There is nothing wrong
with that.  But PETA is also completely opposed to any other "use" of
animals, including pets/companion animals.  Regardless of their stance
on experimentation, they are *not* an ally of the FML or efforts to
legalize ferrets in FFZs.]