Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 1994 13:07:58 -0400
        When we got our new puppy, we knew it would take a lot of time and
patience to get them to get along;  but we had figured the hard part was
getting the dog not to hurt the ferrets.

        We figured wrong.

        The puppy is very good with the ferrets, even though she's very much
larger -- she lies down to look at them at their level, tries to play with
them, doesn't mind their climbing on her, etc.

        Unfortunately, one of our ferrets has taken a liking to biting the
puppy on the nose.  He never bites us; even as a kit he didn't bite.  But he
seems to like the puppy's nose.  Of course we correct him firmly for this, just
as if he were biting a person.  The problem is, I'm worried the dog is going to
learn that ferrets are nasty, biting critters....

        I mean, correcting after the fact is ok when a ferret bites one of us --
but I don't want the puppy to think that its ok to bite back, or to learn that
the ferrets are enemies...

        Anyone have any suggestions?

-Rochelle, Dave (fiance), Fezzik & Shadow (ferrets), Sicard (iguana),
        and Gruagach (pronounced groogy, deerhound pup)