From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 16:20:21 -0400
        To Dick Bossart -

     >We have ferret that we adopted out about 7 months ago (we run a small
>shelter here in NH).  The people called a little while ago in a panic.  Their
>ferret had developed two "large" lumps on either side of its neck and one on
>the lower throat. The ones on the sides of the neck have gotten smaller.  It is
>lethargic.  It doesn't eat or drink very much.  It had first developed these
>same symptoms about 4 months ago but it cleared up  then. They've had it to
>their vet who did two separate blood tests, X-ray and a barium test. The first
>blood test done two weeks ago showed a high-normal white cell count, but the
>latest one was normal. The Vet is giving it Baydril - 10 mg every 12 hrs. They
>have hydrated it, but don't know what else to do. (We got it to eat Duck Soup
>tonight.)
>Any suggestions? (Sorry, I realize that this isn't much to go on.)

        Dick, I have seen several ferrets with a similar presentation, and all
have had neoplasms of various types.  Most were lymphosarcoma, two were
carcinomas of the glands of the skin which had metastasized to those nodes.

        While a localized infection may cause similar signs, a lot of it depends
upon how "large" those lumps are.  Animals with bad teeth can have mild swelling
of the cervical and mandibular nodes, or with some form of oronasal infection,
but I don't think that's common.  I've seen a lot of ferrets with rotten teeth,
and while lymph nodes can get enlarged, I've never seen them interfere with
eating.

        I know that your vet has done bloodwork, x-rays, etc., but did he biopsy
the nodes?  The best diagnostic tool in this case is to take one out and have it
looked at (I'll do it for free).  Although a bit invasive, it will certainly
answer my burning question:  Is it the big C?  (or L, as the case may be...)

Best of luck.

        To all fellow FML'ers

        I have some good news.  Yesterday, I talked with one of my colleagues
here at the AFIP about helping to answer some of the questions here on the list.
 Her name is Charlotte Baer, and she is an animal nutritionist, currently
finishing up her masters in this area.  She and her husband are both
nutritionists, and have a consulting business in animal nutrition (many zoos
enlist their aid on food-related problems).  She has experience dealing with
ferrets and other mustelids.

        I expect her to be on the list as of Tuesday or Wednesday.  As she is
not a ferret owner, I have asked her to scan the list for questions about
nutrition or preferably, addressed to her (so they stand out).  I will also keep
track of nutrition questions so they don't get missed.

        BTW, she is familiar with the taurine controversy, and backs me up
(Whew!) on this, that work has not been done in ferrets, but she personally
feels that taurine is definitely required by ferrets for good health.  (Also, I
think she has the long-awaited answer to the toxic levels of Vitamin A
questions).

        I think it's great that she is taking time out of her schedule to help
us out, and I'm sure that everyone will make her feel welcome.

       Bruce Williams, DVM             Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]     Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454             Washington, D.C.  20306-6000

(Nice new logo...)