From:
"Michelle P." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 1994 01:11:05 -0400
Chris,

I tried to get this as short as possible, But I've written it over 3 times
and can't seem to get it any shorter without losing the jist of the problem.
If you see a way of doing it please edit what you don't seem as fit.

Here goes:

To: All FML subscribers.....

Some of you are not aware of a situation that is going on in Kansas,
(Due to being new subscribers) Here is a short rundown of the plight of
the McDowell family, and maybe a way for us to help fellow Ferret
lovers who are going through a deplorable amount of grief by the court
system.

The McDowell's had a Ferret named 'Longtail', who had allegedly bit a
city power worker, in their home when he attempted to take the Ferret
out the arms of it's young keeper.  The court sytem has bullied the
worker into taking the Rabies injection, and had ordered that Longtail
be sacrificed for the examination of possible Rabies.  The McDowell's
had no intentions of complying , and as fate would have it Longtail was
stolen out of their car anyway.

The courts and the newspapers, have caused a cascading effect of trouble for
the McDowell's, Mike McDowell lost his job with the Sheriff's
department...and  by some accounts, because of pressure from KDHE (Kansas
Department of Health and Environment)
They are also in the proccess of losing their house due to the overwhelming
number of bill's and lawyer fees that have amounted trying to fight for
Longtail and their rights.
The McDowell's 14 year old daughter Megan, also had an accident wich required
emergancy surgery to repair torn ligaments in her leg. Future surgery will be
required for her to lead a normal life.
(As if they were not having enough bad luck!)

The McDowell's are still fighting, but need help!  We are imploring that all
the FML subscribers donate as much as they can.  The same thing could happen
to any of us, and to our much loved Ferret babies.
If we all band together we could help, the old adage is...'Theres strength in
numbers'  If you cannot donate at this time, please keep them in mind until
you can, or at the least send them a letter of suport...here is their address
and phone number again....

Mike and Rita McDowell
Box 432
Onaga, KS
66521
(913) 889-7180

Another idea that might help would be to call or write to the following
numbers and addresses.  They could bring the McDowell's some valuable
publicity, they have agreed to do the show's if given the chance.
All it would take would be a few minutes out of our time.....Think about
it... Wouldn't you think they would notice about 450 some calls or letters on
the same topic?
Help the McDowell's stand up for the rights of Ferret's, they need it.
They are getting a bad dose of Mis-justice and infringement of their rights.

Maury Povich..............1-800-593-2000
Crusaders...................1-800-434-5111..Box 6363, Burbank CA

91510-6363
NBC Nightly [log in to unmask]
Jerry Springer.............1-800-295-3779
Sally Jessy Raphael....1-800-937-2559
Ricky Lake.................1-800-906-0021
Geraldo......................1-900-773-2586...For those of us on AOL there is
a Geraldo board to send letters to,  Keyword.....Geraldo.

There are a few more Shows that have 1-800 numbers, like Phil Donahue, or
Oprah (who is a great animal lover) If anyone has these on hand please post
them for others to call as well.