From:
[log in to unmask] (kristen herzog)
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 94 19:08:27 EDT

        Hi all!  Just a few things I wanted to comment on....

Hoarding food:  This HAS to be a ferret instinct - both my babies will
grab a huge mouthful and dash to the nearest hiding spot.  They look
like little squirrels hoarding their acorns!  Nesta is the funniest
because he stffs as much as he can into his mouth (little piggy);
then, when he sees me coming, he dook-dooks at me and turns his head
away, giving me a look like "Don't even think about it!  Get your OWN
food!"  Very amusing....

Advice on Food Dishes:  Stupid me, I see one of those nifty
self-feeders in the pet store window.  Trying to be super-ferret-mom,
I buy it and rush it home, thinking that this will prevent the food
dish frisbee games they love so much.  BAD MOVE!  Roo can stick her
little face through the food, up into the plastic cylinder that holds
the food, and roots it all out!  Then, instead of the normal frisbee
game, they both decide its time for a digging contest - who can fling
the food the furthest?  ARRRGGHHH!  Talk about frustrating.... but fun
to watch... :)

On Baths :  How do y'all get your ferrets to enjoy the tub?  As soon
as I run my OWN bath, the ferrets scatter.  When it IS they're turn,
they sit there and look at me like little drowned rats.  (What did I
do to deserve this?!?!)

        Why don't people know what a ferret is?  Some girl stopped me
today on campus and commented on my baby raccoon.  (Roo DOES have a
very dark and clearly marked mask).  When I corrected her, she said,
"Oh!  I've taken in baby possums before!" Then, further across the
green, some lady freaked out because she thought a quirrel had jumped
onto my shoulder (Nesta's coat has changed to a beautiful
grey-silver).  Yikes!  Its a ferret. I swear!  They've been
domesticated for a VERY long time!
        Sorry, I know this is a long post, but i have one more
question.  A friend from one of my classes approached me and mentioned
that her boyfriend had to give away a 4 year old male because the dog
AND the ferret were too much for his small apartment.  I'd love to
look into adopting him, but what kinds of things should I be worried
about, or what questions should I ask?  I definitley will be visiting
him to see if he is as gentle as she says.  Any comments or pieces of
advice?
                thanks, Kristen the trained human
                        Nesta the Squirrel wanna-be
                        Roo the "Raccoon"