From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 1994 09:21:03 -0400
>  Barbara, I sympathize with your loss, and offer my condolences.  It is
>  a great loss when any of us loses a ferret, but even greater when one of
>  us appears to be needlessly blaming themselves, as I think is happening in
>  your case.

Thanks, doc. :) It does make me feel a little better. But I just can't
help feeling that it was something I did. She was fine Saturday. I was
sick  with the flu and shouldn't have handled her, but I was having a
big party Sunday (people were *flying* in!) and wanted the ferrets to be
socially acceptable. Sunday morning, my daughter picks her up and she's
comatose. Her body temperature was way down (she felt cool to the
touch), eyes half open, panting. This is the ferret who had the accident
last year (my son dropped a 60 lb weight on her head & chest ... crushed
her chest, bleeding into the lungs, concussion, etc.) I keep telling
myself that by rights she should have died then. The vet was surprised
when she pulled through. She'd been more sluggish after the accident,
acting very scared when someone touched her unexpectedly (hey, I'd be
nervous, too) and just didn't seem as robust as she'd been.

I've pretty much forgiven myself for not being able to save her. I guess
I'll always feel responsible for what happens to my pets. I am, after
all, their only recourse. :)

At any rate I really appreciate you taking the time to try and comfort
me. Keesa was a character and I'll always remember her.

--Barb--