From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 1994 11:19:10 -0400
        Dear Cindy -

                Yes we received the sample on the 12th.  Sorry to be so long in
returning an answer, the resident in charge of the case was pursuing some
special stains on the tissue to rule out the possibility of a bacterial
infection.

        When I got your message, I looked at the slides.  Although the bacteria
stains are not back yet, I see no evidence of bacterial infection or neoplasia
in the submitted testicle.  What I do see, however, is a ruptured epididymis
(where sperm is stored) and a tremendous inflammatory response to the leakage of
sperm into the surrounding tissue.

        The body generates a very strong inflammatory response against sperm, as
it does not recognize it as a normal component of the body.  Usually sperm is
sequestered away in either the seminiferous tubules (where it is made) or the
epididymis (where it is stored).  In cases of epididymal or testicular trauma
(usually surgical in humans following a vasectomy), the sperm leaks out and the
body treats it as a foreign substance.

        The most common cause of this type of lesion in a ferret is trauma.
Could Dream have gotten bitten back there or maybe punctured it on a sharp piece
of wire in the cage???

        At any rate - there is no evidence of a tumor.  Excision of this
testicle should be curative.

        Best of Luck

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000