From:
Chris VonSeggern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 17:24:13 -0400
After posting about Scooter's biting problems, I was deluged with
suggestions about how to curb this behavior.  I had settled on a squirt
gun, but he soon learned where the evil stream of water was coming from
and to behave _when I had the gun in my hand_.

Someone (I don't remember who, but thank you!) suggested that when he
bites my finger, I should shove the knuckle gently into his mouth until it
gags him.  This has worked very well; his biting is significantly reduced,
and he responds to a verbal reminder now.  Hopefully, another week or so
will see him not biting at all.

This weekend, Scooter managed to totally convert another follower.  A
group of my friends were at my apartment playing a game, including one
person who didn't think ferrets should be pets.  She fell totally in love
with him and spent the entire evening cuddling him and playing with him.
That is, until he made such a nuisance of himself stealing the game pieces
that I had to put him back in my room :-).  It was really cute; he'd
pretend to be preoccupied with something else just outside of the circle
we were sitting in on the floor, then he'd dart in without warning, grab a
piece and try to run off.

Anyway, enough blathering from me.  I just wanted to let people know that
that bite-training method works and to thank whoever suggested it.

Chris and
Scooter the boardgame weasel
Bellingham, WA