Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Ferret Mailing List (FML)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 23:36:35 -0400
With years of experimentation I have found PineFresh from Cansorb
Industries Inc. of Cleveland NC to be the absolute best litter for
ferrets.  It does not seem to have the problem of the aromatic
 cedar or pine shavings (litter box is hopefully not used as much for
sleeping)  This litter is compressed pine saw dust that absorbs many
times more ammonia odors than anything else I've ever used.  My only real
problems are that it is by pound more expensive than other types but it
seems to make up that cost in longevity in the box.  It is not available
at all grocery stores in this area either - Safeway and Weiss markets but
not the dominant Giant stores.

Litter Green may be fine for cats but seems to be particularly bad for
ferrets.

Clay is too dusty and seems to cause sneezing and even an
infection in my ferrets.

Never tried clumping litters and have been warned off of them  but I
forget the reason.

I also use ground corn cob litter (available at feed stores).  It is very
clean and dust free but does not absorb odors.  I use it with my kits as
I want to avoid any possible effects of the pine aromas on the little
ones.  I also change their litter every day to avoid infections.  This
litter does not absorb odors very well at all but is the least dusty of
anything I've tried.

I'm trying a recycled paper product but haven't formed any opinion at all
yet.

I've had ferrets for six years now and currently have far more ferrets
than I ever expected to so I use quite a bit of ferret litter.

Hopefully I won't become known as the fetter litter expert around here.
Not very glamorous title huh?

bill killian
zen and the art of ferrets