Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Ferret Mailing List (FML)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
RBOSSART <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 1994 21:14:03 -0400
Chris VonSeggern

>>>Scooter has now begun a new program of biting when he doesn't get his
way<<<

What may be happening is that you are/have "taught" Scooter that when he
gets picked up, he gets thumped and stuffed back in his cage - not a
pleasent experience, so he defends himself.

We've had some success with the following although it is difficult and
takes considerably longer once they are "conditioned".

Pick Scooter up as normal.  If he bites, just shout 'NO!"; don't flick
unless he's grabbed hold and won't let loose.  (If you have to, wear a
glove.)  Continue to hold him afterward.  Talk soothingly.  After a
minute or two, give him a drop or two of diluted ferretone (2 parts Olive
Oil to one part ferretone).  Don't put him away right away.  Just put him
down.  Keep this up on a frequent basis.  Don't flick.  Don't put him in
his cage right away.  Reward not-biting even if its only a few minutes.
Keep talking soothingly and scritching wherever he enjoys it - ears,
neck, shoulders.  The idea is to re-condition him to associate being
picked up with pleasent things.  It may take weeks, but I think he'll
respond.