From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 1994 13:40:28 -0500
I had my first tail-wagging sighting over the weekend.  Rocko
was looking down the vinyl dryer tube toy, and saw my fiance's
(AKA "daddy") hand in the other end.  Rocko moved in a bit farther
and then started wagging his tail back and forth quickly.  Very
adorable!

I called the Acme Ferret Company last night, asking for their
catalog of ferret stampers, etc.  I was asked if I knew that they
don't sell actual _ferrets_.  She said that people have called for
a catalog, saying they wanted to order a ferret!!  Too weird/sad
for belief.

Finally, I encountered my first negative reaction from people seeing
my ferrets.  I was sitting outside a fast food place at a road trip
rest stop, eating fries and letting Rocko and Randall explore on their
leashes and harnesses.  An older couple came up, and the man asked
me if they were wild or tame (common enough question: I responded with
the pretty standard bit about being domestic and _related_ to weasels,
etc.) and then if they were my pets or if I was going to use them for
something.  This confused me a bit - I mean, they were on leashes and
I had picked them both up!  Looks like pets to me.  And _use_ them for
something??  The woman then asked if anyone used their fur!  I said in
a shocked, hurt voice that I certainly hoped not, as these are domestic,
sweet, loving pets (but I do know about "fitch" fur).  I certainly can't
see going up to the owner of a fluffy dog (Amer. Eskimo, Husky) or cat
(Angora, etc.) if they were going to use their little pal's pelt for
something!!  *sigh*  The woman then said in a somewhat squeamish tone of
voice, even after I quickly explained their tameness, personality, and
something about care, "Well, I guess it's something you have to get
used to."  I suppose there may have been others who've seen my lil'
'weiner cats' and just stayed away, keeping their dislike to themselves,
but all the other reactions have been of the interesting/cute variety.
I can't believe that someone would make such comments about - what
seemed obvious to me at least - beloved animals.

To end on an up note, I came upon the idea for the next great ferret
wearable accessory.  There are ferret collars, leashes, and harnesses.
How about a ferret drag chute to reduce likelihood of injury when your
little stinker hurls himself off of something in an attempt to get on
top of the windowsill/table/desk?  Only problem is that it might encourage
them to try even more daring stunts.  Oh well, sounded good on paper.. :)

Have you hugged your ferret(s) today?
Denise, plus:
 * Rocko and Randall ("We do make great housecleaners - we pick up
     everyone's things and put them under the couch and beds!  Is
     that what's meant by 'used for something'?")
 * Grumpy - teddy bear hamster