Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 1994 17:21:59 -0600
        Hokay, here's the story as it stands - Today, I and the staff of
the Utah Ferret Association, together with other interested citizens,
appeared before the Salt Lake County Executive Council to continue the
legalization effort for ferrets. (The news reports should be on in about
1/2 hour for me, I can't wait!)  We arrived and told the council before
they read the proposal from animal control that we REJECTED the proposal
in its entirety, and needed to start over from square one - the council
took a few moments to voice their displeasure to Peggy Hinnen of animal
services for tripling the fees that the council had already agreed upon
(they agreed upon the fee, and sent the proposal out to be re-written,
whereupon she tripled the fee again) - Another council member (who was
against ferrets as pets, as he admitted to us) felt that the proposal was
just plain unfair, and that the county would NOT be more liable if in
fact they DID institute a rabies quarantine period for vaccinated ferrets..
(Yes, this is GOOD news!)
        The end result? - more delay.  The executive council has now
organized a `task force' of individuals to sit down with animal services
and go line-by-line through their planned changes (they are changing the
ordinances for dogs and cats within a couple of months, a complete
re-write.) The task force would discuss the pros and cons of all the
restrictions and fees they plan, and would decide which ones to implement
(working ferrets into the ordinance as it was re-written, with no more
restrictions than dogs would have.)
         In my eyes, this is wonderful news, and we SHOULD have a much
better proposal in 30 days (I am on the `task force' as well as a vet who
is VERY angry with animal services for their heavy-handed shenanigans of
the past and present, the Vet is also very pro-ferret!)
        I will be glad to answer any questions people have, and will be
sure to keep you all updated!  Our first meeting of the `task force' will
be this coming monday morning, so I shall be sure to have another report
then!

Matt Ouimette
President,
Utah Ferret Association
(daytime phone - 801-553-0600)

                                _,-/"---,
         ;"""""""""";         _/;; ""  <@`---v
       ; :::::  ::  "\      _/ ;;  "    _.../
      ;"     ;;  ;;;   \___/::    ;;,'""""
     ;"           ;;;   ;;   ;;;  ::/
 ;"""";
 \/"""

 - If ferrets had ruled the earth, mankind would never have invented
matching socks!