From:
Greg Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 1994 14:44:00 -0600
Winkie update

He's doing better, but still not normal.  We gave him a laxative, one of
the relatives of laxatone.  This at least got things moving along but
not normal size.  We intend to keep up the laxatone once-a-day for about
a week.  We are still concerned and mystified by what is causing this.
Latest theory is he is *sucking* on other ferrets and ingesting too much
hair.  Were isolating him when we are not home and at nights.

Guess we'd better introduce the rest of our business:

Pooh  -  (Pooh Bear)Five year old neutered sable female.  Used to help
us run the household, gathering the other ferret for meals.  But she's
retired from that nonsense.  Sugar freak, we have to be careful with
various candies.

Tat  -  (Tautilla - my little one) Four and half year old neutered
silver mitt female.  Smallest of our ferrets weighing just slightly over
a pound.

Willie  -  (Willie Lump Lump)  Four and half year old neutered panda
male.  A real love.  Jumps on the bed every morning and demands back and
belly scratches which, according to him, should last at least an hour
and preferably all day!

Frisby  -  (Mrs. Frisby) Four and half year old neutered dark sable
female.  Thinks raw potatoes are the best treat.  Also, believes that my
wrist and mouse pads belong in the bay window.

Gus Gus  -  Four year old white neutered male.  One of the worlds great
bouncers, probably should have been named Tigger.  Currently alpha male
and a very benevolent ruler.  Smarter than most of the others, able to
solve problems way too quickly.

Oscar  -  (Oscar the Grouch)  Four year old light (almost light brown)
sable neutered male.  Gus Gus's brother.  Named because he starting
complaining about his life the second we picked him up - not to be
confused with crying or whimpering.  He *grouched* for the first month
or two he lived with us.  Treat monster first class.

Wilma  -  Three and half year old female panda.  Cuddly, lovable and
roly-poly with all the extra weight in the rear half.

Winkie  -  (Bullwinkle Moose)  Three and half year old neutered sable
male.  One of the best masks I have ever seen.  Our hero, he donated
blood for a brother that died from a tumor.  Charmed the devil out of
the vets staff, they couldn't believe the way he would hide/nest in the
cloth they gave him.  In charge of all ferret toys and knows the proper
location for each and every one of them (we have over a hundred toys for
them ranging from ping pong balls to stuffed animals).  Spends most of
his day moving toys.

Pongo  -  Year and half old neutered sable mitt male.  Youngest male.
Escape artist extraordinary.  Fortunately the neighbors cat likes him
and watches over him when he is on one of his adventures.  The cat has
even brought him home on one occasion.  While this sounds cute it does
nothing for our mental well being.  Hunting for a ferret for an hour or
two is not pleasant.

'Roo  -  (Kanga'Roo)  Five month old neutered white female.  Smart and
adventurous.  We are trying to collect boxes to we can move soon, she
can climb to the top of just about any stack of boxes.  Both albino's
seem to be smarter than the other ferrets.  I dont know if this is
universally true but I certainly don't intend to be without one - they
are too much fun!  We lost one other albino when she was a year or so
old but she was also quite smart.

All our ferrets have been trained to come to a squeaky toy.  We use one
to summon them to dinner.  Each one goes for walks on a fairly regular
basis so they know where home is.  We've had several escapes but because
of the walks and the squeaky training each one has had a happy ending.
They have the run of the house, only being caged during vacations and
road trips - they love going for rides and exploring new territory.

Alice & Greg
* Pinecliffe BBS - 104/28 in Fidonet        pinecliffe.com *
* 303-642-7463                          Sysop: Craig Baker *