From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 1994 09:34:23 -0500
Regarding ethoxyquin:

I have talked to the staff vets on CompuServe's Pets/Animals Forum (GO
PETSFORUM) about ethoxyquin several times, and have not to date been told
that there is any scientific evidence indicating that this preservative is
harmful to dogs, cats, ferrets or any other animal.  Until I hear
otherwise, I personally consider this a rumor.  I have not even heard any
anecdotal evidence about specific adverse effects caused by ethoxyquin.
Now I know some people don't like preservatives in food on general
principle, and that's fine.  But if there is evidence that ethoxyquin is
harmful, I'd be very interested in some cites.

To Nancy Hartman about adverse reactions to vaccinations:

First of all, how the heck are ya??

Secondly, I understand that Fervac-D has been reformulated within the past
year, purportedly to reduce the chances of an adverse reaction.  My Molly
had an adverse reaction to vaccination last year -- Fromm-D and IMRAB --
we suspect the Fromm-D, or the fact that she had both shots at the same
time.  She began vomiting within 5 minutes and had to be administered an
antihistamine to stop the reaction.  She recovered within several hours,
but was one mighty pooped ferret!

This year, we had the shots administered two weeks apart, both times
preceded by an antihistamine shot.  After the shot, the vet watched her
for 10-15 minutes to make sure there was no reaction.  She was fine this
year, and in future, we intend to have her boosters administered the same
way.

As a general rule, having the distemper and rabies boosters given at
different times would seem to me to be a wise precaution.  Also, I
understand that the shots are less likely to cause a reaction if given in
the rump, as opposed to the shoulder or neck area.

I have not previously heard that IMRAB (the rabies booster) was ever known
to cause adverse reactions, just that the distemper boosters (Fervac-D or
Fromm-D) had.

Yes, it is possible that a ferret that had never previously had a reaction
would one day react to a booster shot.  Any person or animal must be
sensitized to a particular allergen before having an allergic reaction.
So your friend's ferret very likely could have had these shots several
times before and never reacted until its system was sensitized...and then,
bingo!

Katie Fritz
CompuServe Small Mammals Section (S11) Co-Leader, Pets/Animals Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]   CompuServe: 71257,3153