From:
Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 1994 10:44:50 -0500
> Issue number: 761          Date:      Mar 17 1994
> ---------------------------------------
> From: Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Advice on aquisition
>
>         One way would be to drive to Nevada or Oregon (at least 5 hours each
> way)  :(
>         How well would newly acquired, presumably young, ferrets handle this?

        Ferrets or at least my ferrets love to travil.  In fact next month we
are doing a 1300 mile road trip each way.  If you get ferrets in a neighboring
state you better get them old enough to have the rabies vaccine.  If a ferret
is found in CA with out it they  will euthanize it.
                                      ^^^^^^^^^
                                      I think that's a real word! :)

>         What are the borders like?

          I have no idea here.

>         The other way would be to pick them up during an upcoming trip to
> Boston (are they legal there?) and fly back with them.

        Boston is a ferret free zone.  Even if you did pick one up in a
ferret freindly state and flew him to CA, it will be picked up at the
airport when you land.  Do not try to fly them in.

>         How would these same hypothetical ferrets handle the airplane?
>
>         How do airlines react to ferrets?

        Some or should I say very few will let you fly with ferrets.  Most
of the time they get stuck in the cargo bay.

> Brad

        This is another Brad not me. :)  I've already got a few replies on
this post.  I am originaly from the Boston area so I know how they treat
ferrets.  That is why I'm driving them up there next month and not flying.

        Brad, Sebastian, and Mako.

> From: Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 13:07:53 -0500
> Subject: Fish products and Ferrets
>
> I was told by my vet to avoid foods with fish or fish by products.  Anyone
> heard anything about this?  We don't have access to "ferret products" here,
> so my food resources are very limited.  Would appreciate any input.

        Yes you should avoid foods that the main source of protiens is fish.
Hill's Science Diet, IAMS, Pro-Plan are good foods.  There are others but
I can't think of their names off hand.  Kitten foods for ferrets younger
than 3 or 4, maintance cat foods for older ferrets.

> I hope this all makes sense - today has not been a good day.
> Jan - GDFA

        Sorry to hear of your loss.  Take care and remember the fun times.

        Brad, Sebastain and Mako.