From:
Norris Harber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 1994 17:36:14 -0500
Hi.  I have another medical question.  This time I'm looking for a
second opinion.

A few months ago, we brought our new baby, Ozzie (now about 7 months
old) to the Vet for his first checkup.  The vet told us he had Giurdia
(sp?), a stomach bug, and had us bring in Nico and Gunther (both
about 2 years old) only to find that they had it as well.  So he gave
us some medicine to give them twice a day for 7 days.  I don't remember
off hand what it was exactly (Moxadin, maybe? I could probably find out
if needed).  After the 7 days we were to wait a week and them bring
them back for stool samples.  They still had it, so we tried another go
round with the same medicine.  They still had it.  Next the vet mixed
up 3 dilutions of another ferret designed medicine for them which we
gave them twice a day for 10 days (again, I don't remember what it was
but I could find out).

Today they went back after their week's rest and we found they still
have it!  The vet says it's very unusual.  Ozzie apparently has it the
worst (the technician said he was "pooping live protozoa").  But all three of
them have looked like they feel fine through all of this.  They are all
eating (although we have noticed that Nico and Gunther are loosing
weight, which has been worrying us).  They all have plenty of energy
and seem in good spirits.

Now the vet is giving us Valbazen Susp. to give them for another 10
days.  He says it isn't really "approved" for ferrets.  I'm not sure
what that means.  Gunther (2 lbs 8 oz) is getting a .1 cc dose of
undiluted stuff.  Nico (1 lb 8 oz) and Ozzie (1 lb 12 oz) are getting
.1 cc of 2 different dilutions.  Is all this OK?  Could Nico and
Gunther's weight loss be related to the Giurdia?  I'm just about ready
to make them Michelle's Duck Soup (I think it was Michelle's) recipe
which was in the FML a while back.  Anything you can tell us will be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Norris Susan, Mark, and our 3 furry beasts