From:
Cindy Aleszczyk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 1994 10:54:22 EDT
to Jason Creager:

Our vet recommends spaying/neutering after 6 mos of age to allow the necessary
hormones to organize and activate the brain.  I also wrote a paper on this
for an endocrinology class.  Apparently, removing these hormones by neutering
too early leads to health problems later in life.

My first two ferrets were neutered and spayed when I purchased them at 7 and 11
weeks and both had major problems in what should have been their golden years.
Bilbo had a melanoma the size of a golfball removed from his abdomen as well
as insulinomas and eventually went blind and deaf.  Butterscotch had
 insulinomoas and cushings syndrome.

Not that I'm suggesting that all ferrets will have these problems, but why
take the risk?  My two babies will be neutered before they're 7 month
old. (as is required by the breeder as well).

>From what I've read, males come in season in December until July and
females from January until August.  So, you shouldn't need to worry
about your male coming into season if he's neutered before Christmas.

Good luck!

Cindy
Beren and Pippin too!