Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Ferret Mailing List (FML)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 18:02:16 -0500
>Mink and ferrets are both in the weasel family, and thought to have
>similar nutritional needs (though I don't know of any scientific
>evidence that this is so), which is why ferret food frequently has a
>formulation similar to mink food.  But mink love fish, and ferrets don't!

Actually, Bud *loves* tuna (don't worry though, I only buy 'dolphin-friendly'
tuna :). I give him a little occasionally as a treat. But then, Bud will eat
almost anything, unlike Cassie, who is more finicky.

Speaking of cat foods containing fish-meal, I noticed a brand called Diamond
Professional at the pet store. The analysis looked pretty good; protein 34%,
fat 21%, fiber 3%, moisture 10%, ash 6.5%. But I noticed it contains fish
meal (though Dr. Williams said that's not necessarily bad). The main ingred-
ients are Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Corn, Wheat Flour, Chicken Fat
(preserved with Propyl Gallate and Citric Acid), Fish Meal, Dried Whole
Eggs, Corn Gluten Meal, Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, and an assortment
of chemical compounds like Menadionine Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfate. It
doesn't list the preservative Ethoxyquin. I know some people on the List
have expressed concern about it possibly having harmful long-term effects
(though there is apparently no hard data to this effect). But who knows
if Propyl Gallate would be any better.

Ever since I heard Iams would be changing it's flavor, I've been trying
out other brands, so that if my ferrets didn't like the new Iams (which
Cassie was raised on exclusively) I'd have alternatives to switch to.
I've tried several brands, and am currently alternating them between
ANF Tami, Purina Pro Plan, and original Iams (the switchover was a little
slow coming to Canada I guess; although the new Iams is now in the stores,
I'm still finishing an 8 lb. bag of the old). I figure it can't hurt the
ferrets to have some variety in their diet; maybe if one food lacks something
another will have it. My favorite is the ANF Tami, both because it has no
artificial preservatives (thus easing my parental paranoia) and because the
kids seem to like the taste best. Science Diet seems to be their *least*
favorite of all I've tried. Anyway, does anyone have experience or opinions
about the Diamond Professional? Should I give it a try?

On the subject of food, it's been stated that ferrets should be switched to
maintenance cat food around age 3-5 to reduce their protein intake and the
accompanying strain on their kidneys. Bud is *probably* around 3 years old
or more. When I adopted him 2 years ago in May the vet figured he was at
least a year old. Also, he's starting to look a little chubby lately (Tarra,
did he seem overweight to you when you were here?). The vet says Bud may have
missed his last coat change and his internal clock may now be 6 months off,
so maybe he's just fattening up for the 'winter'. Cassie seems to range
from 2-2.5 lbs, and Bud from 2.25-2.75 (I haven't unpacked the scale yet
to weigh them since I moved). Anyway, while Bud's around 3 or older, Cassie
is only about 1 1/2. They eat from the same dish, so it'd be tough to switch
Bud to maintenance and leave Cassie on kitten food. Should I wait till
Cassie's 3 and Bud's 4 1/2 to switch? Of course by then I may have another
young ferret. Any suggestions?

Sorry this post is becoming so long, but as long as I'm here I have a
couple more questions. Since I moved into my new house, I've noticed Cassie
may be scratching a little more. Could the carpet contain fleas? It was
professionally cleaned before I moved in. I don't see any fleas on Cassie
(but I've never seen a flea in my life, so I may not know what to look for).
She *is* shedding now; maybe that's why she's scratching? Bud seems his
usual self.

Finally, a question about ear cleaning. How important is it, and how often
should it be done? I've never cleaned Bud's ears, and they always seem plenty
clean on their own. Cassie seems to get a reddish build-up in hers, which I
clean out with a Q-tip dipped in vegetable oil whenever it seems excessive.
Should I be doing this more often/differently? Any advice on how to do it
with a minimum of hassle? Cassie *hates* it, and absolutely will not sit
still for it. Maybe I should ask my vet about OTI-CLENS.

Anyway, this post is long enough. I'll save my other questions for later.

Bye.

John, Buddy, and Cassidy