From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 1994 12:02:42 -0400
Hi--
To Mark O. re:ferret abuse. I had sent this message to you as soon as I read
your message about the mistreated ferret, but I just received a notice today
that it was not able to be sent to your address--not sure why? you might want
to check and see if some things are not getting to you? Anyway, here are my
thoughts:

I hope you report these people to someone in Mass. (I also live in Mass.). Not
sure about the MSPCA's policy re: ferrets (you could ask them before giving any
info).

However, according to FACT (ferret rescue group in Connecticut), the Animal
Rescue League in Worcester, Mass. calls them (FACT) when they have ferrets, so
you may want to start with ARL in Worcester. My own experience with cruelty is
that sometimes you really have to push them (MSPCA etc) to pursue something,
ie, keep calling back to check.

But please don't give up, and also *make sure you tell them they have another
ferret at home*. I personally think they should be taken away from them.
It may take some persistence, but is really worth it knowing you can help an
animal that needs immediate assistance.

Animal Rescue League, Worcester 508-853-0030
Also, if ARL seems willing to follow up, you may want to give the people at
FACT a call, so they can follow up as well. (203) 247-1275
MSPCA law enforcement-617-522-6008
Please let us know what happens.

To Dale re: talking to someone who is mistreating their animals. I liked what
you said about talking to someone, although I'm not sure I would be able to
maintain a calm presence myself. I also think sometimes it is better to have an
animal taken away from someone. But then will they just go out and get another
animal? No easy answers. In the long run, it's better if someone learns how to
have compassion for another being; perhaps this starts when we treat them with
respect? Certainly not something that comes easily to most of us when we see an
animal being mistreated.

On a lighter note: I think "ferret of borg" explains a lot about ferret
behavior. I start my workday by reading the FML and find myself laughing out
loud a lot. If I ever change jobs I will have to make sure I can subscribe to
the FML!

Re: different styles of playing--Cinderella seems more affected by the heat
than Norman, and hasn't been quite as playful recently. I also think because
Norman is younger, he is more of a lunatic. He really gets into the ferret war
dance.

Cinderella and Norman are going to open a shoe store. Norman will be in charge
of ripping out the lining in the shoes, and keeping the books (ie, pulling them
off the shelves.) Cinderella will maintain the sock department. How's that for
a business of ferrets?

-- Cinderella & Norman's mom