From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 1994 15:59:28 -0400
Following up on a hunch, I discovered that Minneapolis, MN
is a FFZ.  It's also my residence - with my furry.  This
was not what I'd read in an article in my university's
student newspaper.  Please change the FAQ to reflect this,
as it only lists St.Paul.

So, I'm an "outlaw."  What do I do?  I was planning on moving in
August, but I'd wanted to stay within the area I'm in now.  I
rent, and don't want my present apartment to be shown to a
prospective renter with my little furry in the place.  I also
don't know if there are any suburbs that would be convenient
that allow ferrets.  My apartment will have the possibility of
being shown for the next 2 months, starting July 1; my lease
ends Aug. 31, but because of complications I should have a new
place as of Aug 1.  I don't think they have to give any notice,
but I'm not sure - I could request it, and make up some special
reason (odd working/sleeping hours for the summer, etc.).  I
could possibly ask my sympathetic upstairs neighbor to keep him
and his cage upstairs in her apartment for the next month when
I'm gone during the day, and move him to the new apartment on
August 1st.  It'll be a 2-bedroom place, so hiding him would be
easier in case any maintenance would have to be done sometime -
I have an efficiency apartment now.

My boyfriend lives in Illinois, and I see him every other weekend,
so I could list my furry's address as being there and get his shots
and other vet work done there.  I can't really leave him there, as
my boyfriend's parents have a large hunting dog that I wouldn't
trust living with my little ferret.  It might work for a short time,
if I have to.

I know I should move to a ferret = OK suburb, but it's difficult to
find decent bus routes to the university.  I'll see what I can do.
Maybe I could say, for my new apartment, that I have a cat (have to
pay a damage deposit) that _really_ hates/fears strangers, and so the
door to my bedroom has to stay shut when maintenance is going on?
I'd leave him there while I'm gone at work anyway.

How do the other "outlaws" on the FML cope?  Please help me - I love
my little furry, and don't want anything to happen to him.  If I'd
known about Minneapolis being a FFZ, I never would have told my boy-
friend that they were legal here, and he wouldn't have bought the
darling critter for me.  :'(  Any ferret-hiding tips are especially
appreciated.

Sadly yours,
Denise and Rocko (Cat?  I'm not a CAT!)