From:
Kevin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 1994 13:35:17 -0400
>I'm beginning to wonder if we should shift away from looking at this
>as a litter-training problem and consider it as a sign of rebellion and
>unhappiness.  What do you think?
>
>Robin & Sam (the people)
>Judy and Timmy (the ferrets)

  My ferrets would have to be AWFULLY unhappy and rebellious to account
for the mess they make :)

  I've been reading recently about weasels and stoats, our fuzzies somewhat-
near relatives.  They apparently use their scats as well as their scent to
mark their territories; two animals will leave 'em on the same spot and that
defines their boundary.  So it might be that a 'poorly trained' ferret is
just more territorial than most.

  Their refusal to be 100% litter trained is the only problem I have w/my
critters.  I've tried bedding in the corners - no good.  I tried little
piles of food, too (figured that no animal would foul good food) but they
move it, THEN use the corner.  I've tried animal 'keep off' sprays: they
don't work.  Ammonia, Bitter Apple, etc., etc: no good.  I haven't given
up, but I'm running short of ideas.

  (I've noticed how they won't use the litter box if it's too full.
Hmmmm.....Maybe if the corners were that nasty, they wouldn't use THEM
either.......)

Kevin (human), Jay Omega, and Anubis (feculent ferrets)