From:
Richard Florio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 1994 00:33:30 -0500
I have been getting the list for about two months now, and after
reading the post about NH Health Dept. in issue 766, I had to respond.
It is unbelievable what a bad reputation Ferrets have.  Is there no end
to the scare tactics and misinformation?  Imagine how many more people
would own Ferrets if they were told the truth about them?  The average
person without prior Ferret knowledge would think from reading that so
called "Information Bulletin" that Ferrets are terrible animals that
attack children on sight! Too bad they couldn't also see my three young
(3,4 and 5 yrs old) cousins cuddling and loving both our Ferrets and
receiving nothing but gentleness and pleasure in return! (and I have
the pictures to prove it!) Also some blame has to go to the
irresponsible people who place ANY animals in close quarters with
children without proper supervision. It would be in the best interests
of all if such people refrained from having pets; and probably children
as well.  Since it looks like there will never be an end to the
falsehoods and  fear on the part of your average Joe Public, we should
all go the extra mile to help enlighten people with the truth.....that
ferrets make wonderful pets and it is only PEOPLE who make them
dangerous to people.

OK I'm down from my soapbox.....while I'm writing I'd like to express
my sympathy to all those who have recently lost furries....It's been
over two months since I lost my little girl and reading about FML'ers
ferrets and there antics is the next best thing to having a new pet of
my own.

Rich and the spirit of Sydney.

Rich Florio  [log in to unmask]