From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 1994 07:02:36 -0500
To Lisa Winsauer -

        I'm glad to hear that you had Akira done.  One concern that I have about
lymph node biopsies during exploratories - the internal lymph nodes are very
tricky to evaluate if you do not see a lot of them.  In possible cases of
lymphosarcoma (and I do not buy into the current thought that elevated
lymphocyte counts precede lymphosarcoma - this has NEVER been proven), the lymph
nodes from the back legs are a much better site to biopsy.  There are a lot of
incorrectly diagnosed lymphomas from the abdomen due to the reactive changes
seen in these nodes from Helicobacter infection.
        What I am saying is - if there is any question of lymphosarcoma in
Akira, make sure you get a second opinion from a pathologist who has experience
with ferret tissues.

        To Robert Rhode concerning curdled feces -

        What you describe suggests some type of gastrointestinal problem, the
exact nature of which cannot precisely be determined based on feces alone.  The
lack of feces suggests a possible blockage, or perhaps just decreased intake of
food.  While discoloration of the occasional stool is not uncommon in ferrets,
persistent looseness and discoloration is.

        I suggest you see your vet and at least have him check for the presence
of a blockage.  A short trial of antibiotics would probably not be uncalled for
in this instance.  Young ferrets often have gastronomic misadventures - the most
logical conclusion based on the available evidence inthat your pet has gotten
into something that has upset his GI tract.

        To Angi concerning Brandy's coughing -

        Tis true, some ferrets can have allergies and even asthma, but that's
fairly rare.  And dust mice can make even the most normal animal sneeze.

        A persistent respiratory problem however, is concerning.  Smouldering
pneumonias and heart problems can cause chronic coughs.  Your vet may be right,
but there is certainly nothing "normal" about this chronic hacking.   Have any
types of therapy been attempted???

Bruce Williams