From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 1994 11:07:00 -0400
Help Please:
A friend has 2 mom ferrets that had babies 3 weeks ago and they both
came back into season.  What should we do?

MFarm Ferrets:
I have 2 MFarm ferrets - Gizzie and Willow - and I love them dearly.
Both have medical problems but I wouldn't exchange them for the world.
I'd rather see MFarm ferrets sold as pets.

Outside Pets:
Ferrets are companion pets and enjoy human-ferret interaction.  Mine
have a large outside cage (7'H x 4'W x 6'L - 2 levels) attached to a
window with a ferret door.  They come and go as they please all year
round - weather permitting.  Given the choice, they spend more time
inside even though the cage has all ferret necessities including dirt
in the bottom (wire beneath).

Distemper Vaccine:
I've used Galaxy 6 MHP-L by Solvay for several years without any
problems.  Any comments?

Ferret Dads:
My ferret dads (years ago when I bred) always stayed with moms and kits
until they tried to take them away from mom to care for them.  Although
they could keep them warm and clean, they couldn't feed them.  All dads
were heartbroken when taken away and moms weren't too happy either.
A friend also kept her dad with mom till he did the same thing.  It seems
their maternal instinct is strong also.  Boy was everyone happy when
they were all back together (when babies started on gruel)!  I had
one mom who would not have her little one's unless dad was there.

Kansas - McDowell Update
McDowells are still looking for an attorney to take their cases.  Kansas
attorneys seem to be motivated only by money, of which the McDowells
have none.  Any suggestions?

Kansas Legislature:
SB-815 was held in interim this session.  That gives us 6 months to
mount a nation-wide info campaign.  We need veterinarian backing on
ferret issues because the legislature is obviously not listening to
the people.  Veterinarian letters in support of ferrets as domestic
pets, info on ferret bite procedures nation-wide, etc.
And I thought Kansas would listen!!!
Troy Lynn Eckart - Ferret Family Services, Kansas