From:
mike janke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 1994 14:50:26 -0500
Well, after a short absence due to mixed up address changes on this end, I'm
back.  Hah, didn't even miss me didja. :-)

Brad:

Our Sid (now gone) used to come up on the bed every morning just before the
 alarm went off.  He'd alternate days... one day licking my ear or nose and the
 next chomping on my arm or ankle.  I don't know, I guess it depended on how he
 felt that day.   Max, our newest little guy, does the same thing, but not quite
 so consistently.

I guess, like us, they're creatures of habit.  After they get used to the
 routine, they seem a little anxious and beat the alarm by a few minutes every
 day.

Nancy:

Glad to hear Bree did well.  I found your description of the post-operative care
 interesting.

When we had Sid, he developed an enlarged spleen which had to be removed.  It
 was pretty touch and go because it was so large and removing it apparently took
 a lot of blood out of his system.

Even so, the vet came out and put Sid in my wife's arms before he even woke up
 from the anesthetic.  I don't recall any heating pad or any extraordinary
 effort to raise his body temperature.  I'll be sure to ask about this if I'm
 ever in this situation again.

BTW, Sid recovered quite nicely from that surgery as there was no hard reason
 for the enlarged spleen.  He lived another year (he was 7) in good health when
 he was struck by a sudden and swiftly advancing paralysis.  One Saturday we
 noticed he was kind of dragging one hind leg and we quickly took him in.  There
 was no obvious reason but within 3 days, he was to the point where he could
 barely move.  We were in a state of panic.  He didn't appear to be in any pain
 but the vet wasn't sure he'd make it another night and there was no other
 choice but to end his suffering.  It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

We miss you Sid.

  mike