From:
Susan Brown DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 1994 12:00:10 -0400
Re:  Ferrets from Hell, itchy skin

Ferrets can scratch themselves with relative frequency normally and when they
scratch they do it vigorously, I can hear is at least three rooms away as
they thump their foot on the floor.   However, they do have a high fat
requirement and you can safely add fat to the diet.  You might use a prepared
fatty acid supplement such as Ferrotone or Linotone in the amount of 1/8 tsp
daily.  I am also a fan of meat fat that is raw (more nutritious), but if
that makes you nervous, you can feed it cooked (liquified) in the amount of
1/2 tsp -1 tsp daily.  Eggs are also a good source of fat and protein and we
have several ferrets on eggs that have gorgeous coats.  You can very lightly
scrambel the egg and give about 1/4 to 1/2 egg a day.  They like the taste of
garlic, so you might add a little to the egg.
Have Fun
Dr. Brown

Re:  Robin with ferret that died of urinary obstruction.

I am very sorry for your loss, it is even more difficult when it is
unexpected like that.  Fortunately, urinary calculi (stones or "sand") is a
less common problem than it used to be, but it still happens.  The better
quality cat foods seem to be helpful.  But is still can happen even with
those.  In males, it is most difficult because of the small diameter of the
urethra and difficulty in catheterizing them.  Sometimes they have kidney
damage also, which makes it more difficult to survive all they must go
through to get cured.  This brings up a pet point of mine, and that is the
necessity of frequent veterinary exams once ferrets reach 3 years of age.  I
HIGHLY recommend having your pet examined at least every 6 months and at
least once a year have some minimal laboratory work done.  We have diagnosed
an enormous amout of problems in ferrets BEFORE they reached the dangerous
point by frequent checkups.  This is not to guarantee there will never be
surprises in between checkups, but this type of preventive program greatly
reduces those surprises.  YOu did the very best you could and obviously
sought help when you needed it and you should be commended for doing so.  He
was fortunate to have had such a loving home, even if it was for only a brief
time.
Susan Brown, D.V.M.