Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 1994 13:49:41 -0400
> From: DTHOMASON <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Matt--
>       I'd like to see just as wide a "media blitz" as possible.
>       National, definitely, but if everyone will take a few minutes
>       to call their local TV stations, favored radio stations,
>       newspapers, and so on, we could at least work on local media in
>       the larger cities.  Gathering E-mail addresses or phone #'s
>       would be my choice, but I'm quite willing to write my own "form
>       letter to send out to any we only get a mailing address for.
>       Letters could go out 3-7 days before the scheduled E-mail/phone
>       fest begins maybe?  For instance, I live in Dallas/Ft.Worth.

I couldn't agree more!  - and Yes, I see it WILL take longer to
organize.. I think right now, each of us should (as you said) talk to our
local clubs and organizations, and hunt down any phone #'s and E-mail
addresses that would come in handy locally, and also nationally.
You DO have a point.. if every news station in the US (or even a large
fraction) got a lot of calls in one week, they'd KNOW it was a movement!

>       However, if we really do want to catch more local sources as
>       well, we'll need longer to organize.  First we have to interest
>       local and national clubs in participating.  Then we have to
>       compile a list of targets, allowing time for newsletters to go
>       out to clubmembers and gather any target suggestion feedback
>       the newsletter articles generate.  Then we need a panel of
>       qualified and willing spokespeople formed to refer the media
>       sources to.  If any gathering and packaging of statistics,
>       reports, and other info is needed that must be done to support
>       our spokespeople.  Next the lists of targets, spokespeople, and
>       dates for our campaign have to be compiled, and once again, time
>       for distribution allowed.  Then we can launch National Domestic
>       Ferret Week! :)

I agree, we will likely have to move the timetable back a bit. :(  but as
long as that leaves us more prepared, and with more people informed,
that's fine!

We need to contact FURO, CDFA, etc. (the National ferret clubs) and get
some NATIONAL spokespersons, and also pick some LOCAL spokespersons for
each state, or area. the national spokespersons can talk to 60 Minutes or
whoever, the local will get to talk to any local shows or
tv/newspaper/radio stations..
 A good idea (I've been sick all week) I mentioned it to the local club,
and they were all for it, although I haven't spoken to CDFA or FURO or
the AFA yet..

 further bulletins as events warrant!

 Matt Ouimette
Utah Ferret Association