Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Ferret Mailing List (FML)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Mason Weinrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 1994 16:06:25 -0400
Hi everyone.

There have been a bunch of questions about ferrets in MA recently, so I
thought I would share my experience (being an owner in an FFZ).

While ferrets aren't quite on the up and up here, the proximity to CT
and NH has led to a lot of ferrets in the state.  Almost every pet
store I have been in sells a full line of ferret supplies (shampoo,
toys, cages, etc), and, almost every time I buy something, the person
behind the register tells me about their ferret!  The vet that I had
used for my cat for years also treats ferrets (in fact, he gets to go
there tonight for a shot!).  My impression, therefore, is that our
carpet sharks are fairly standard illegal aliens.  However, that is
only my experience, and I haven't gone out of my way to advertise that
I have a ferret.

I would worry about taking Gizmo to the airport - there is a lot of law
enforcement around, and ferrets do tend to attract attention to
themselves (by hook or by crook).

Also - a general comment for people trying to get rabies and bite stats
together.  before you make too much of that data, realize what others
will say.  So there have only been a few cases of rabies and lower bite
rates than cats and dogs - most people will only look at the number of
ferrets in relation to the number of cats and dogs out there.  There's
a great little book called "How to lie with statistics" which I suggest
reading before touting these numbers, just so we can make sure we don't
fall into the same traps.

One question - a while ago (like last fall) there was a bill pending in
MA to legalize ferrets - anyone know what happened to it?

Best - Mason, Slinky, and Leila (the cat who didn't know the wet rug
rat was illegal - now is he fair game?)