From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1993 14:16:30 -0500
In Ferret List Issue 652 [log in to unmask] writes:

>It was easy to get the girls to use it...even the two who'd never had a
>litter box with their previous owner....but this guy...and if he does...they
>do.. I'm at my wits end now. Are all males harder to deal with? In the
>ferret kingdom I mean. <G>

Well, I adopted Buddy as an adult from the local Humane Society, and while
he usually goes in the *vicinity* of the litter pan, it's as often beside it
as in it. If I remain strict with him for a week or two he improves somewhat,
but it's hard to do this unless I'm taking holidays at home because he usually
does it when I'm at work. Cassie on the other hand (who I've had since 7 weeks
age (her age I mean, not mine :)) never misses the litter pan when she's in her
familiar kitchen, and usually gets it when visiting other rooms. This may be
because she's been taught since young, or she may just have a 'knack' for it
which Bud lacks (I hesitate to think it may be because Bud's male and Cassie's
female, but maybe being male myself I'm just prejudiced :). If possible, try
confining your male to a smaller area until he uses the pan consistently in
that area, then gradually give him more space. I haven't done that with Bud
because it would be too hard with my set-up, as I expect it would be for most
people.

>-> Hi all, how are your weasels' winter coats this year?    The Em has a
>-> glorious, magnificent, fluffy coat--and his head  is turning silver!
>-> (Usually he has a dark head--but just recently  it started turning; last
>-> to change was a triangular splotch in the  middle)
>
>Ooooh! Want a laugh?? This is my first winter with ferrets. One thing I
>do...is I want them to be really super healthy ... and I really work to
>get/keep them that way. Nonni and Bigfoot are looking GOOD! They have been
>here since babyhood...but anyway....when they started growing these lush
>coats...I thought it was because I was feeding them so well! LOL! Oh
>well...<G>

Don't discount your efforts so quickly! When I got Bud, about a year and a
half ago, he had a very course coat. I assumed all ferrets were like this.
I fed him Iams kitten food, as it was highly recommended on the List. Anyway,
several months later he had his first coat change, and his new coat came in
much softer. Since then it has remained soft through subsequent coat changes,
and the vet figures it's due to his diet. Also, Cassie (who I've raised on
Iams since 7 weeks age, and who's now 1.25 years old) has a beautiful soft
coat, softer than Bud's or any other adult ferret I've seen, softer even than
many kits' coats. So I think diet can make a big difference to the health and
softness of their coats, though I expect heredity is also a major factor.

John, Buddy, and Cassidy