From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 1994 10:59:00 -0500
My SO and I posted an article here called "Ferret Problem Still" a little
while ago about
our spaded ferret who is showing signs of being in heat, and here is an
update.
Brandy, our little ferret, underwent exploratory surgery.  The veterinarian
could not
find any remnants of the female reproductive organs that could have been
left behind on a sloppy spading.  He did notice that the left adrenal gland
was about twice the size of the right adrenal gland.  He didn't think that
that justified cutting it out so he left it in.
The veterinarian we are using wants to measure the hormonal level in
Brandy's blood so he can tell if it is hormones causing the swollen vulva.
 The problem is that since this is
in CA, the lab that this clinic uses for blood sampling doesn't have a
normal for the
hormonal levels in ferret's blood.  This gives us nothing to compare a
sample to.
Does anybody have this information or know where I could find it.  Also,
does anybody
know if a swollen adrenal gland can cause these problems.  Brandy doesn't
show any of
the symptoms I've read about that go along with swollen adrenal glands.  She
shows no
signs of hair loss, and she acts normally.  Any information is much
appreciated and
any information already received has been very useful.

Thanks again,

Dave and Anita, Jasla and Brandy